Is Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Right For You? Talk To Our Minimally Invasive Surgeons Today.

When Should You See a Doctor for a Work-Related Injury?

When Should You See a Doctor for a Work-Related Injury?

If you’ve been injured on the job, you need to know what to do next. Getting hurt at work can require different steps compared to simply having an accident outside of the workplace..

Here at University Pain Medicine Center, our team understands the ins and outs of workplace injuries. We know the importance of providing the physical exam you need, plus the documentation it takes to file with workers’ compensation. As workplace accidents specialists, we can tell you everything you need to know if you’ve been hurt at your place of work.

Types of work injuries

Workplace injuries are not one-size-fits-all. It’s common to think of accidents happening with machinery or slipping and falling on the job. Yes — you can suffer from a fall, sprain, cut, or even a broken bone, which is an acute injury.

However, you can also become injured from the overuse of a muscle with repetitive motion. These are called repetitive strain injuries (RSIs), which occur gradually. For example, if you work in an assembly line or paint or have a job that requires you to repeat specific motions with your body, you can develop physical problems. 

You can also become injured if you have an accident while driving a motor vehicle for your company.

Next steps

If you have an accident that requires emergency medical attention, let us know that you’ve had a work-related injury. As workplace accidents experts, we know how to take care of the proper paperwork to get you the care and compensation you need and deserve.

If you have a less urgent issue, you should still seek medical attention as soon as possible. Seeing your provider for acute injuries, such as a cut, sprain, or fracture, will prompt you to get relief quickly. 

But if you have a chronic injury or an RSI that develops slowly over time that affects your bones, muscles, joints, tendons, or ligaments, make an appointment with our team as soon as you notice symptoms.

When you file an injury with the workers’ compensation program, your employer must cover your medical care if the injury happened at work or is a result of what you do within your workplace. We are authorized specialists who can make sure the proper steps occur.

Diagnosing your injury

When you come in to see us, we first provide a physical exam, which includes testing your range of motion, strength, and flexibility. We ask about your symptoms and learn about the severity of your condition. We also ask questions about your job responsibilities and find out how your injury occurred or what has contributed to the progression of your pain.

We may need to order imaging tests, such as an X-ray, CT scan, or MRI. Once we have an accurate diagnosis, we can provide the right treatment for you to help you heal.

If you’ve been hurt on the job, don’t delay making an appointment with our team. Know that you’re in good hands with our team of workplace accident specialists who can give you the guidance and medical care you need for your situation. 

We have six locations in New Jersey. Simply call the office nearest you or book an appointment online today.

You Might Also Enjoy...

A Closer Look at the Mental Side of Pain

Though you can feel the pain in your body, you don’t often discuss the toll it can take on you mentally. Here, you’ll learn more about how chronic physical pain can affect your mental health.

How Your Diet Impacts Pain

If you have chronic pain, you might need to observe your diet and possibly make some changes — because what you eat can directly affect how you feel. Keep reading to learn more.

Will an EMG Show a Pinched Nerve?

If you have persistent tingling, numbness, or pain in certain areas of your body, you might have a pinched nerve. Take a moment to learn the best way to know the source of your issue so you can get the treatment you need.