PROTECTING AND HEALING JOINTS NATURALLY
Joint aches and pains increase with age and can sometimes worsen in the presence of a busy and active lifestyle. While there are several medications that reduce pain, it is not always advisable to take them over a long period of time as some can cause severe side effects or dependency. Over-the-counter supplements, however, can help relieve joint pain as well as prevent it from recurring. Take a look at these five alternative therapies for soothing your joints.
- Gelatin. This is the best supplement for knee joints, especially for athletes and sports persons. It acts as a lubricant that prevents bone tissue wear and tear due to regular use.Glucosamine. This is one of the best supplements for knee joints. This fatty acid is a part of cartilage and other components of the joints.
- Glucosamine helps rebuild the bones and prevent cartilage wear and tear. It also prevents inflammation of the joints and adjoining muscles.
- Chondroitin Sulfate. This is used with glucosamine. It helps build cartilage and can prevent pain in the joints. If chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine are taken in conjunction as supplements for joint pain, the pain may be abated and the joints may become stronger.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce the wear and tear of the joints. These fatty acids prevent the enzymes called collagenases from damaging the joints. Omega-3 is popularly used as a supplement for knee joints and is known to reduce inflammation and strengthen the tendons.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C is an anti-oxidizing agent. In addition to bones and joints, it helps protect other connective tissues like ligaments, tendons and skin. Vitamin C also helps make collagen which is important for the flexibility of muscles and blood vessels.
You can find these supplements in many of your health foods stores or even online. Be certain to consult your qualified health care professional prior to using any of these supplements.