Healthy Spring Recipes
Eating a balanced diet should make you feel satisfied and energized. Organic, nutrient-dense foods can help you heal from years of chronic illness. Whether you are battling inflammation and food sensitivities, want to overhaul your lifestyle or are just looking for some healthy cooking ideas, use these recipes as a healthy place to start.
Golden Bell Pepper Soup
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- ½ small onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Sea salt (season to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (season to taste)
- 8 yellow, red and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, more as needed
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram
- Gluten-free croutons, for garnish, optional
- Sliced avocado, for garnish, optional
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish, optional
- Sriracha sauce, optional
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic powder, turmeric, a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and broth. Season with more salt and black pepper to taste. Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and add marjoram. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Let soup cool slightly. Then, in batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. If needed, thin it with more broth or water. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Return soup to the pot to keep warm until serving. Garnish with gluten-free croutons, avocado and cilantro, if desired. Serve with sriracha sauce on the side, if desired.
Avocado Tacos with Orange Jalapeño Salsa
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced into ½-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil, canola oil or olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- Sour cream, optional
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 pinches sal
- Place egg whites in a small bowl and whisk until foamy.
- Place bread crumbs, cumin, chili powder and salt in a separate shallow bowl or container.
- Dredge avocado wedges in egg whites and then in bread crumb mixture until well coated.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry avocado wedges until golden and crispy on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Do this in batches if your pan is too crowded.
- To make the salsa, toss together orange, red pepper, onion, jalapeño pepper, scallions, cilantro, lime juice and salt.
- Top tortillas with avocado wedges, black beans, salsa and sour cream, if using.